Strand Theater Logo

Cinema Associates Theater Photo

Strand Theater Photo

The History of the Strand

In 1890, at a cost of $29,000, the Spencer Opera House was constructed on the former site of the Blockbuster Hotel. The opera house could easily seat 750 patrons and included a dress circle, premier balcony seating, and two box offices. The Spencer was acquired by A.J. Boyer in 1905 after Edward Spencer’s death and became the Boyer Opera House.Moving Pictures were first shown at the Boyer in 1909 sharing the Vaudeville acts which graced the stage.

In 1928, Robert Hudson took over the business and began showing motion pictures. He later purchased the Boyer in 1946. The Boyer became the Strand Theatre in 1950 after extensive modernization. The dress circle and box seating were removed and the state-of-the-art dazzling marquee was added.

In 1980, the Strand went through yet another extensive remodel. The interior was rebuilt from a one-screen to a two-screen theatre house removing the stage. Also, the exterior fa├žade and marquee were made to look more contemporary.

The Strand was run by several owners from 1980 to 2001, and even was closed for a brief period of time due to lack of business and a poor reputation. In 2001, the Strand was acquired by a new owner of an independent chain of theatres, Cinema Associates, which included the Auburn Garrett Drive In and the Silver Screen Cinema. While trying to renovate and re-open the theatre, vandals set fire to auditorium 2 and slashed the screen. The theatre was able to open though in spite of the set-backs and heartaches. A total renovation was set for the Strand to make it be majestic once again. The largest fire struck in 2002 as a result of renovations in-progress in auditorium 1 causing extensive damage to the theatre.

The year 2002 brought with it the completion of renovations and a magic touch, which completely revived the Strand making it stand proud once more. The Strand is proud to live on in the heart of downtown Kendallville as Noble County’s only theatre.

Cinema Associates Theater Photo